The purpose of the Midwest Aquatic Plant Management Society (MAPMS) is:
- To promote sound and appropriate technologies for the management of aquatic vegetation
- To provide opportunities for the educational advancement of its members
- To encourage relevant scientific research
- To promote the exchange of information among members
- To expand and develop public interest in the discipline
MAPMS provides information and assistance required by those who work with the unique ecological, sociological economic and regulatory concerns associated with managing aquatic plants in lake systems affected by exotic species, nutrient pollution, use conflicts and intense recreational demands.